Natural Migraine Relief
If you’re looking for effective, natural migraine relief you’ve come to the right place. We provide true relief from headaches and migraines using natural approaches in our Fort Collins, Colorado clinic.
While your friends and family don’t quite understand how you can feel so horrible from "just a headache", we get it. (Dr. B has suffered from them personally in the past). The way we describe migraines to people who’ve never had one is that it’s like one of the worst hangovers of your life. You have a headache so bad that even thinking hurts, while the rest of your body feels like you have the flu. They are awful. Forget work; forget even getting out of bed. Yuck.
Fortunately, we can help you get natural migraine relief. There are a variety of causes for migraines; it’s not the same thing in every person. And, while migraines occur more often in women than men, there are key differences in natural treatment between guys and gals.
Causes of Migraines
We commonly see women who get migraines in a specific pattern relative to their menstrual cycle, including post-menopausal women. Are migraines caused by hormone imbalances? You bet. We’ve also noticed that synthetic hormones (birth control, certain others) can cause migraines, while natural hormones do not. We take a detailed history to figure out if a woman’s hormones (or lack thereof) are causing her migraines.
As you’ve probably noticed on this site, we ‘blame’ food for a lot of health problems. And for good reason. Much of our food is synthetic and loaded with chemicals and this can cause several problems for people; migraines being one of them. So whether a certain food chemical is causing a migraine, or a person has a food sensitivity, food is a common cause of migraines.
I’m referring to different nutrients – there are several that when taken as a supplement, can provide natural relief for your migraines. These are items that are found naturally in our diets and body, but oftentimes we may not be making/ingesting enough of them, and the result is migraine headaches.
Sometimes neck problems, or stress that localizes in the muscles of the head and neck can cause migraines. Having your neck looked at by a chiropractor that is experienced in treating migraines can be a good idea.
Natural Migraine Relief Treatments
- Hormone Balance:If you’re a woman with migraines, a detailed look at your hormones is the first place to start.
- Food Sensitivities Another common place to start looking for the cause of migraines. The foods you are eating can make you sick.
- Focused Nutrients These are some natural nutrients that have been shown in studies to help alleviate and or prevent migraines.
- CoEnzyme Q10Is a vitamin-like compound that plays a role in energy production inside the cells of the body. Migraine studies have shown that migraines may be caused, at least in part, by a deficiency in the production of this naturally occurring compound. Supplementing with CoQ10 can help prevent migraines quite significantly.
- Butterbur (Petasites)Is an herbal extract that has been shown to be very effective at preventing migraines naturally. It’s been studied quite a bit with promising results. *Caution – not all herbal extracts are the same! This herbal needs to be concentrated in a certain way for it to work.
- Vitamin B-2 (Riboflavin) When taken in high doses (400 mg/day), this Bvitamin can significantly reduce the number of migraines. However, it doesn’t seem to decrease how painful a migraine is, when they do happen. Keep in mind that if you take Vitamin B-2, you should always take it with other B vitamins. Taking large amounts of one B vitamin can create a deficiency of the others.
- Vitamin DIs important for prevention of many health conditions; migraines are another we can add to this list. Lower levels of Vitamin D are associated with migraines. Vitamin D is important for many health conditions; if you haven’t had your levels tested yet, you need to! Having sufficient vitamin D levels may provide you with relief from your migraines.
As you can tell, there are a lot of places to look for the causes of migraines. We take in an in-depth look at your health in our fort Collins clinic, so we can find the cause of your migraines, and provide you with natural migraine relief.
Return from Natural Migraine Relief to
Conditions Treated with Natural Medicine